Settegast High School opened in 1951 to serve some 300 African-American students in grades 1-8 who resided in the East and Mount Houston Independent School Distict (now known as North Forest ISD).
The original B.C. Elmore High School was constructed in 1957 at a cost of $513,113.00. It had 29 classrooms and was named in honor of Bennie Carl Elmore, its capable and dedicated principal, who served in that capacity until 1969.
In the fall of 1972, Forest Brook Senior High School was constructed to accommodate the multitude of high school students (3500) residing in the district and B.C. Elmore became a middle school.
In 1999, the original B.C. Elmore structure was demolished and replaced by a mulit-million dollar, 130,000 square foot facility for grades 7 and 8. It houses over 40 classrooms, features a lecture hall, community room, dance studio and the latest technology.
In August 2001, B.C. Elmore re-opened its doors and had to render its halls to the Forest Brook Senior High School, due to the damage Forest Brook received during Tropical Storm Allison.
In August 2002, B.C. Elmore reopened under the leadership of its first female principal, Gwenette Ferguson. Under her leadership and direction, B.C. Elmore Middle School continues to maintain an academically acceptable rating, striving towards recognized status, with a Vision for Success!